Forum Search:
RSD No Spam
rec.sport.disc without the spam


Home » RSD » RSD Posts » The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage
The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 00:19 Go to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Hey everyone,

This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
Board of Director's Election.

We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
various issues.

We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
responsibly into the next decade.

Readers, check it out:
http://www.the-huddle.org/

And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
(October 1st) at the UPA website: https://www.upa.org/members/login.php

Let your voice and choice be known.

Thanks everyone, and take care.

-- Ben & Andy
http://www.the-huddle.org/
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1127 is a reply to message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Morrone
Messages: 113
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
After watching Franks interview, as painful as it was, all I can say
is...

Someone made a version of dischoops in Seattle that doesn't suck?
What are the rules? I think that would be worth trying
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1130 is a reply to message #1127] Wed, 01 October 2008 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideline
Messages: 51
Registered: September 2008
Member
On Oct 1, 8:39 am, Alex Morrone <morronea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After watching Franks interview, as painful as it was, all I can say
> is...
>
> Someone made a version of dischoops in Seattle that doesn't suck?
> What are the rules? I think that would be worth trying

NO, you totally missed Frank's point. Taking it upon themselves to
rewrite the rules was EXTRAORDINARILY DISRESPECTFUL and ARROGANT.

P.s. vote for Frank, he will take it upon himself to rewrite the rules.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1135 is a reply to message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 3:19 am, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
> Board of Director's Election.
>
> We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
> further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
> various issues.
>
> We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
> represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
> responsibly into the next decade.
>
> Readers, check it out:http://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
> (October 1st) at the UPA website:https://www.upa.org/members/login.php
>
> Let your voice and choice be known.
>
> Thanks everyone, and take care.
>
> -- Ben & Andyhttp://www.the-huddle.org/

how in the hell is henry "open minded" when he dosent tolerate the
notion of refs in ultimate (which dosent represent the membership in
the least) AND he says that all other sports basically suck compared
to ultimate. is that really the kind of person you want involved in
administrating THIS sport.......someone that cant appreciate other
sports......especially when ultimate is on the threshold of "breaking
thru" and should be relying on said OTHER SPORTS as a guiding factor
in making the right stratigical, promotional and marketing
decisions.......not to mention that he lead a membership assessment
process that didnt even reach out to 10% of the membership that cost
the membership over 27K. ya bunch of homers.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1136 is a reply to message #1130] Wed, 01 October 2008 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frankie
Messages: 93
Registered: September 2008
Member
You're doing a pretty good job of taking my quotes completely out of
context.

What I said was that after dozens of people had worked for years on the
refinement process with the rules, the Seattle boys made changes after only
reading the rules. They hadn't even bothered playing by them first and
revised the rules based upon the preconceived opinions they had from playing
a New Games sport for so long.

"sideline" <sidelineheckler@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ca99c85c-af16-4b66-8e44-8317e6e557a3@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 1, 8:39 am, Alex Morrone <morronea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After watching Franks interview, as painful as it was, all I can say
>> is...
>>
>> Someone made a version of dischoops in Seattle that doesn't suck?
>> What are the rules? I think that would be worth trying
>
> NO, you totally missed Frank's point. Taking it upon themselves to
> rewrite the rules was EXTRAORDINARILY DISRESPECTFUL and ARROGANT.
>
> P.s. vote for Frank, he will take it upon himself to rewrite the rules.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1138 is a reply to message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 3:19 am, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
> Board of Director's Election.
>
> We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
> further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
> various issues.
>
> We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
> represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
> responsibly into the next decade.
>
> Readers, check it out:http://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
> (October 1st) at the UPA website:https://www.upa.org/members/login.php
>
> Let your voice and choice be known.
>
> Thanks everyone, and take care.
>
> -- Ben & Andyhttp://www.the-huddle.org/

critiquing me on not giving more detailed information is like asking
me to give you a "per square foot price" on building you a house when
you havent even provided me with a working set of detailed plans.
SIMPLY PUT......there are lots of variables at play here. I guess you
aint familiar with the industry but usually you have to pay an
architec for said set of detailed plans (which is a fairly heafty
expense in itself) prior to ANY building contractor being able to bid
out the job with an accurate detailed list expenses.(do a little
reasearch on the guy that was awarded the contract on building the
empire state building) Now if you expect me to put a whole lot of my
time and effort into providing those details(architectual renderings)
just so you can freeze me out and still use that plan......your crazy.

as for being a consultant........why dont you just turn on your tv and
whatch how sports are professionally marketed and presented and you
can find all this out for yourself as its all really as obvious as the
nose on your face.

so go ahead and endorse more of the same old stale and misrepresenting
thinkers that have been moving this sport at a snails pace. its your
sport.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1140 is a reply to message #1138] Wed, 01 October 2008 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
throw
Messages: 743
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
The fkn frank and toad show continues...and on and on and on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjCKf0ulN0s&feature=relat ed
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1141 is a reply to message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 3:19 am, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
> Board of Director's Election.
>
> We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
> further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
> various issues.
>
> We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
> represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
> responsibly into the next decade.
>
> Readers, check it out:http://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
> (October 1st) at the UPA website:https://www.upa.org/members/login.php
>
> Let your voice and choice be known.
>
> Thanks everyone, and take care.
>
> -- Ben & Andyhttp://www.the-huddle.org/

as per huddle endorsed canadate henry thorne says.....the key issues
that the upa must deal with first are grand masters and div II college
comp?!?!? one question......how are persuing these initiatives gonna
help to market and or expose ultimate in the least. Now i'm not
against those initiatives, but shit, just add em to the schedule and
format for em and be done with it.

as for the emmense amount of time and money that was spent reasearch
and development as to what these top "initiatives" are IN THE FIRST
PLACE....or in other words issues that were important to the
membership.....it took me about 15 minutes and some basic common sense
to figure out from reaserching RSD what the top issues were that i
researched through the short survey i ran and it was amazing how the
issues that i presented pretty much mirrored the initiatives that the
upa spent ALL THAT "TIME AND MONEY" on attaining.........and that they
still only got less than 10% membership feedback on TO BOOT.

So what you people will get with henry thorn is 4 MORE YEA......(my
fault) 3 MORE YEARS OF THE SAME OLE SHIT.


HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY THIS ENDORSEMENT, HUDDLE????


VOTE FOR CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR CUTTING EDGE IDEAS!!!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR EFFICIENT COST EFFECTIVE PROGRAMING!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR BEING PROPERLY REPRESENTED!!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR ULTIMATE EVOLVING!!!!!!!!

VOTE FOR TODD "TOAD" LEBER
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1143 is a reply to message #1130] Wed, 01 October 2008 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrPinto
Messages: 601
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 6:53 am, sideline <sidelineheck...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> NO, you totally missed Frank's point.  Taking it upon themselves to
> rewrite the rules was EXTRAORDINARILY DISRESPECTFUL and ARROGANT.
>
> P.s. vote for Frank, he will take it upon himself to rewrite the rules.

In Frank's defense, Frank has played ultimate - his objections to the
current rule set are informed by experience, not a simple a priori
evaluation. While there is a bit of "do as I say, not as I do" going
on here, what he's doing isn't the same thing as what he says they're
doing, namely knocking it before they've tried it. I have no idea if
what he says is accurate and if so what rules they changed, just going
based on what he put out there.

~p
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1144 is a reply to message #1141] Wed, 01 October 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrPinto
Messages: 601
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 8:13 am, joadnt...@ec.rr.com wrote:
> as per huddle endorsed canadate henry thorne says.....the key issues
> that the upa must deal with first are grand masters and div II college
> comp?!?!?  one question......how are persuing these initiatives gonna
> help to market and or expose ultimate in the least.  Now i'm not
> against those initiatives, but shit, just add em to the schedule and
> format for em and be done with it.

Curiously, his rationale for DII is that there is such a large "baby
boom" of youth players out there that the current college system is at
risk of being outgrown. This doesn't seem too outlandish a concern...
pretty much every college program anyone's heard of has a competing B
team at this point, the big ones have C teams, and tons of other
schools have teams now that didn't before and that would benefit from
a more "b"-level competition.

That's something to think about on its own, but the big picture take
away here is that the sport is growing so fast that we're at risk for
having way more teams than currently available tourney slots for them
to play in. If we're doing that well now, "3 more years of the same
ole shit" might not be as doom-and-gloom as you'd suggest.

~p
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1158 is a reply to message #1144] Wed, 01 October 2008 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 11:27 am, "MrPi...@gmail.com" <MrPi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Curiously, his rationale for DII is that there is such a large "baby
> boom" of youth players out there that the current college system is at
> risk of being outgrown.  This doesn't seem too outlandish a concern...
> pretty much every college program anyone's heard of has a competing B
> team at this point, the big ones have C teams, and tons of other
> schools have teams now that didn't before and that would benefit from
> a more "b"-level competition.


so what can the upa do for them???? offer en a couple of playing
opportunitees per year???? that dosent really do a whole lot for em
through out the rest of the year now does it. In reality the whole
format and design of competition in the coolege divisions needs to be
totally restructured. so rearucture it......whats the big deal.
--------------------------------------------------------
>
> That's something to think about on its own, but the big picture take
> away here is that the sport is growing so fast that we're at risk for
> having way more teams than currently available tourney slots for them
> to play in.  If we're doing that well now, "3 more years of the same
> ole shit" might not be as doom-and-gloom as you'd suggest.


but the "same olde shit"(which is facilitating comp and marketing the
sport) happens at a snails pace with current and past upa
administraitors. seems like what you are talking about here is gonna
require some urgancy. So how can an administration that gets
contantly critisized as "not evolving fast enough" gonna be able to
meet that demand with its traditional "snails pace" reputation?
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1193 is a reply to message #1138] Wed, 01 October 2008 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geary.tom
Messages: 2
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
> critiquing me on not giving more detailed information is like asking
> me to give you a "per square foot price" on building you a house when
> you havent even provided me with a working set of detailed plans.
> SIMPLY PUT......there are lots of variables at play here. I guess you
> aint familiar with the industry but usually you have to pay an
> architec for said set of detailed plans (which is a fairly heafty
> expense in itself) prior to ANY building contractor being able to bid
> out the job with an accurate detailed list expenses.(do a little
> reasearch on the guy that was awarded the contract on building the
> empire state building)


I don't think anyone is looking for a detailed list of expenses down
to the penny, but an estimate of the costs would be nice.


> Now if you expect me to put a whole lot of my
> time and effort into providing those details(architectual renderings)
> just so you can freeze me out and still use that plan......your crazy.

Are you saying that you've so far put no time or effort into looking
at these details? If so, when will you start putting time and effort
into them?

If you're not even willing to put in the effort to give us an estimate
of the costs, especially since this idea is the entire platform of
your candidacy, why should I vote for you? Why do you need to be on
the board in order to motivate yourself to put together more details?
Oh right, you don't want to be "frozen out" if they use your plan.
That's BS. If your plan is even feasible and the UPA wants to
implement it, then you'll get the recognition. So either you're lazy,
incompetent, or you just don't want to tell everyone how ridiculously
expensive your plan would cost.

Until you show me that you've put more thought into how you'd actually
make this happen and work within the budget, you're not getting my
vote.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1194 is a reply to message #1117] Wed, 01 October 2008 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Seidler
Messages: 482
Registered: September 2008
Location: San Francisco
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 12:19 am, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
> Board of Director's Election.
>
> We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
> further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
> various issues.
>
> We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
> represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
> responsibly into the next decade.
>
> Readers, check it out:http://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
> (October 1st) at the UPA website:https://www.upa.org/members/login.php
>
> Let your voice and choice be known.
>
> Thanks everyone, and take care.
>
> -- Ben & Andyhttp://www.the-huddle.org/

A small question and then a comment. Who are the other 4 candidates
that you personally know; you only list 3 of the 7 you refer to?
"Our biases are many. We know seven of the candidates personally
(David Janinis, Jamie Nuwer, and Gwen Ambler) and have interacted with
or played against several others on occasion (Ben Feldman, Seth
Grossinger, Frank Huguenard, and Todd Leber). Gwen Ambler and Jamie
Nuwer have submitted articles for The Huddle in the past."

It appears that your criteria for the best board members do not
include experience. That is, you are very focused on specific
proposals and areas (which is fine), but not on the candidate's
overall knowledge and experience with working on Boards or in large
organizations. The term of a UPA Board member is 3 years and they can
run for a second term. Many issues will come up that we cannot
anticipate now. How can we best elect people who we think will deal
appropriately with those future, but unknown, issues?

Questions like whether to address very high level topics on the Board
like "Is the UPA organized to best accomplish its mission?" and "Does
the Board have the appropriate expertise to address the UPA needs?"
and "What long term financial issues should be considered now, like
perhaps buying a building, buying fields around the country, preparing
for a future financial downturn... and how would we plan for them?"
are topics that a relatively young person with limited corporate
experience will have had no experience with.

I wish you had included "business" experience in your list of
criteria.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1199 is a reply to message #1194] Wed, 01 October 2008 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
> A small question and then a comment. Who are the other 4 candidates
> that you personally know; you only list 3 of the 7 you refer to?

Hi Joe,

That's a typo from a previous draft. The error has been corrected in
the text. Thanks.

Andy
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1201 is a reply to message #1199] Wed, 01 October 2008 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
And to follow up on your comment, Joe:

Mr. Seidler suggests that The Huddle's election coverage did not fully
consider the business experience of each candidate when making our
endorsements. We agree. Our business experience is not enough to
decide which candidates have applicable jobs, and which do not. In
looking at the rest of the Board (those that are staying on) we
decided that there was a large degree of business savvy (especially
with Board President Mike Payne) and we concluded that the Board was
not lacking for this particular attribute. For this election, we feel
that the direction and goals of the candidates are much more
important.

Thanks, Joe, for the critique. It is an important one, and one we
thought about as best we could.

Andy & Ben
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1202 is a reply to message #1193] Wed, 01 October 2008 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 2:48 pm, geary....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I don't think anyone is looking for a detailed list of expenses down
> to the penny, but an estimate of the costs would be nice.

the estimate of the cost would be same same as the expense as any
other large scale ultimte tourny. Have you ever ran one? plus there
would be some added possible expenses for a showcased field and refs
($180 x 7 games = 1260). What you failed to equate into the budget of
directing such a tournament(which you may or may not be familiar with)
is the vastly improved potential to get sponsorship backing once a
league like this is established(to to mention increased consumer
related revenue)
------------------------------------------------------------ -------
>
> Are you saying that you've so far put no time or effort into looking
> at these details?

all that info is on file
-----------------------------------------


 If so, when will you start putting time and effort
> into them?


when i get the contract
----------------------------------------------------------



>
> If you're not even willing to put in the effort to give us an estimate
> of the costs, especially since this idea is the entire platform of
> your candidacy, why should I vote for you?


did henry give you a detailed budget of his 27,000 dollar "ultimate
revolution"(which dosent even equate all the voluteer time and effort
that went into it)?????? yet the huddle fully endorses him? so if
you are planning to vote for him shouldnt you be just as precausious,
right?. And he's already spent your money!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------



 Why do you need to be on
> the board in order to motivate yourself to put together more details?

lets direct that same question to henry,,,,,,,and get some details on
all the "detailed expenses" that went into the ult rev.
------------------------------------------------------------ ------
> Oh right, you don't want to be "frozen out" if they use your plan.
> That's BS.  If your plan is even feasible and the UPA wants to
> implement it, then you'll get the recognition.  So either you're lazy,
> incompetent, or you just don't want to tell everyone how ridiculously
> expensive your plan would cost.

obviously you know nothing of directing an ultimate
tournament......which is basically all this is.......only theres a
series of 4. You basically just sprinkle that with refs and fan
interaction......it aint rocket science.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----
>
> Until you show me that you've put more thought into how you'd actually
> make this happen and work within the budget, you're not getting my
> vote.


thats cool with me......just so long as you hold henry to that same
standard and get him to up the expenses of the ult rev. his glorious
27K assessment program that yeilded less than 10% feedback of the
membership.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1205 is a reply to message #1201] Wed, 01 October 2008 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 3:26 pm, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And to follow up on your comment, Joe:
>
> Mr. Seidler suggests that The Huddle's election coverage did not fully
> consider the business experience of each candidate when making our
> endorsements. We agree. Our business experience is not enough to
> decide which candidates have applicable jobs, and which do not. In
> looking at the rest of the Board (those that are staying on) we
> decided that there was a large degree of business savvy (especially
> with Board President Mike Payne) and we concluded that the Board was
> not lacking for this particular attribute. For this election, we feel
> that the direction and goals of the candidates are much more
> important.
>
> Thanks, Joe, for the critique. It is an important one, and one we
> thought about as best we could.
>
> Andy & Ben

for a board that is considered "business savy" they sure dont seem to
be pushin the envelope on the sport of ultimate from a business
standpoint.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1216 is a reply to message #1201] Wed, 01 October 2008 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Seidler
Messages: 482
Registered: September 2008
Location: San Francisco
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 12:26 pm, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And to follow up on your comment, Joe:
>
> Mr. Seidler suggests that The Huddle's election coverage did not fully
> consider the business experience of each candidate when making our
> endorsements. We agree. Our business experience is not enough to
> decide which candidates have applicable jobs, and which do not. In
> looking at the rest of the Board (those that are staying on) we
> decided that there was a large degree of business savvy (especially
> with Board President Mike Payne) and we concluded that the Board was
> not lacking for this particular attribute. For this election, we feel
> that the direction and goals of the candidates are much more
> important.
>
> Thanks, Joe, for the critique. It is an important one, and one we
> thought about as best we could.
>
> Andy & Ben

Hi Andy & Ben,
Many thanks for your quick reply (no surprise ;) This issue is a
matter of degree, so there's no absolute right or wrong. I completely
agree that Mike Payne brings an enormous amount of business savvy to
the UPA Board. I think Henry Thorne does too. But they are only 2 out
12 and they won't be there forever. Most current Board members are in
their 20s and 30s (I think) and that makes it difficult to have as
much business/executive experience as I would like to see on the UPA
Board. I am probably at an extreme in that I think the UPA would
benefit greatly over the long term if the Board were perhaps as many
as 1/3 senior business people who may never have played Ultimate but
for some reason are interested in helping the sport (perhaps they have
a son/daughter who plays).
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1219 is a reply to message #1216] Wed, 01 October 2008 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 1, 4:51 pm, Joe Seidler <j...@seidler.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Andy & Ben,
> Many thanks for your quick reply (no surprise ;)  This issue is a
> matter of degree, so there's no absolute right or wrong. I completely
> agree that Mike Payne brings an enormous amount of business savvy to
> the UPA Board. I think Henry Thorne does too.


so how is that business savvy being applied to ultimate......in a
business savvy knid of way. I mean what could be more bussiness savvy
than trying to package, market and present the sport on a modern and
professional level????
------------------------------------------------



But they are only 2 out
> 12 and they won't be there forever. Most current Board members are in
> their 20s and 30s (I think) and that makes it difficult to have as
> much business/executive experience as I would like to see on the UPA
> Board. I am probably at an extreme in that I think the UPA would
> benefit greatly over the long term if the Board were perhaps as many
> as 1/3 senior business people who may never have played Ultimate but
> for some reason are interested in helping the sport


hey, over here, remember me. I'll give ya the bewst of both worlds
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1225 is a reply to message #1216] Wed, 01 October 2008 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Seidler
Messages: 482
Registered: September 2008
Location: San Francisco
Senior Member
I realized I expressed my opinions about what would make a good UPA
Board makeup, but I didn't say why. After all, the UPA has been
growing and doing pretty well with its player Board for quite a long
time.

I would like to use an analogy. Perhaps some of you have worked in
startups. They begin with an entrepreneur who has a great idea. He/she
works their butt off trying to make it. If they are good and lucky,
they get to $5M-$10M in sales where I would say they reach Stage 2. At
this point, some entrepreneurs are unsuited to manage the size of the
team that it takes to run the business, so a CEO is hired. In some
cases the entrepreneur is good enough to take it to Stage 3 where the
company has sales of $40M-$50M. At this point, most entrepreneurs are
unable to continue to manage the organization and often don't want to
anyway. Of course, if the company continues to grow, it reaches other
stages where perhaps even more experienced management is needed.

I believe that the UPA has recently reached the equivalent of Stage 3.
I think it passed through Stage 2 about 4-5 years ago. In reaching
these new levels, it also has new challenges that did not face it
before. Challenges that revolve more around financial, marketing and
legal issues than previously. Long term issues need to be considered
more than before; since before, just survival was important.

So for the UPA to successfully become more of a professionally run
organization that perhaps is reaching into high schools and colleges
to get more recognition for Ultimate, and into corporations for more
support, it needs a more experienced management. I don't mean it
should give up its player control; it should just bring more senior
business expertise into the organization.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1294 is a reply to message #1225] Thu, 02 October 2008 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Bump
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1488 is a reply to message #1294] Fri, 03 October 2008 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Double bump
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1515 is a reply to message #1488] Fri, 03 October 2008 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richey
Messages: 32
Registered: October 2008
Member
I am curious. Did candidates know that The-Huddle would be endorsing
before they gave their interviews?

J Richey
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1516 is a reply to message #1515] Fri, 03 October 2008 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearseth
Messages: 174
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 3, 12:35 pm, Richey <John.Ric...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious.  Did candidates know that The-Huddle would be endorsing
> before they gave their interviews?
>
> J Richey

They did.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1560 is a reply to message #1138] Fri, 03 October 2008 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremiahthacker
Messages: 29
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
On Oct 1, 9:38 am, joadnt...@ec.rr.com wrote:
> On Oct 1, 3:19 am, Bearseth <andy.lovs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hey everyone,
>
> > This week The Huddle is very proud to present coverage of the UPA
> > Board of Director's Election.
>
> > We have asked all candidates from each race one last question to
> > further explore and clarify their positions and perspectives on
> > various issues.
>
> > We have also endorsed a set of candidates that we feel would best
> > represent the Ultimate community and shepard our sport faithfully and
> > responsibly into the next decade.
>
> > Readers, check it out:http://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> > And we encourage all UPA Members to vote. You can vote starting today
> > (October 1st) at the UPA website:https://www.upa.org/members/login.php
>
> > Let your voice and choice be known.
>
> > Thanks everyone, and take care.
>
> > -- Ben & Andyhttp://www.the-huddle.org/
>
> critiquing me on not giving more detailed information is like asking
> me to give you a "per square foot price" on building you a house when
> you havent even provided me with a working set of detailed plans.
> SIMPLY PUT......there are lots of variables at play here.  I guess you
> aint familiar with the industry but usually you have to pay an
> architec for said set of detailed plans (which is a fairly heafty
> expense in itself) prior to ANY building contractor being able to bid
> out the job with an accurate detailed list expenses.(do a little
> reasearch on the guy that was awarded the contract on building the
> empire state building)  Now if you expect me to put a whole lot of my
> time and effort into providing those details(architectual renderings)
> just so you can freeze me out and still use that plan......your crazy.
>
> as for being a consultant........why dont you just turn on your tv and
> whatch how sports are professionally marketed and presented and you
> can find all this out for yourself as its all really as obvious as the
> nose on your face.
>
> so go ahead and endorse more of the same old stale and misrepresenting
> thinkers that have been moving this sport at a snails pace.  its your
> sport.

well, if you cannot give a ballpark estimate for standard practice, it
is a fuckin miracle you make money
matter of fact, i'll bet you could(off the top of your head) give a
price range for a 2500 square foot custom, or a 5k foot custom, or a
1750 track house
so do NOT use that weak-ass BULLSHIT as some kind of excuse to not
have your shit together
in case you didnt notice it is YOUR goddam "plan" so fucking sack up
and spit out a fuckin number
or dont
it's your election
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1609 is a reply to message #1560] Sun, 05 October 2008 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 3, 10:33 pm, "jeremiahthac...@gmail.com"
<jeremiahthac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> and spit out a fuckin number
> or dont
> it's your election

damn straight its my election......so shut the fuck up about it
already.....ya little blurb

what i'm curious about is why you aint pressing your boy henry about
blowing 27K+ on a suck ass assessment plan that didnt even yield 10%
membership in put.
Re: The Huddle | Feature No. 8 | Election Coverage [message #1636 is a reply to message #1609] Sun, 05 October 2008 15:49 Go to previous message
Jeff
Messages: 338
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
27 K is kind of cheap for a comprehensive survey that addresses
various groups such as leagues and the like, held focus groups, had
analysis of results and a report.

On Oct 5, 2:22�pm, joadnt...@ec.rr.com wrote:
> On Oct 3, 10:33�pm, "jeremiahthac...@gmail.com"
>
> <jeremiahthac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > and spit out a fuckin number
> > or dont
> > it's your election
>
> damn straight its my election......so shut the fuck up about it
> already.....ya little blurb
>
> what i'm curious about is why you aint pressing your boy henry about
> blowing 27K+ on a suck ass assessment plan that didnt even yield 10%
> membership in put.
Previous Topic:Any Updates from the South Regionals?
Next Topic:Sponsoring Ultimate Teams
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Apr 8 11:09:45 PDT 2020
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software