Forum Search:
RSD No Spam
rec.sport.disc without the spam


Home » RSD » RSD Posts » TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION
TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33746] Wed, 05 August 2009 15:03 Go to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
the FAN and i (maybe mike g too)are starting dialouge about running a
reffed tourny this fall somewhere in nc. we were thinking about a 12
team, college mens only event in which we would try to solicit the
best possible teams to play in a reffed tourny. there would be 4 refs
per game and we would try and work out the budget such that refs could
get paid but the E.F. would still be reasonable. are ther any college
teams that would be into playing in such an event? I believe we have
about 6 refs so far......so if you think you could handle reffin ($20
per game) the plese respond. lets keep everything public so that rsd
fans can monitor the dialouge.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33748 is a reply to message #33746] Wed, 05 August 2009 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greenough
Messages: 89
Registered: November 2008
Member
On Aug 5, 3:03 pm, ulticritic <ulticri...@live.com> wrote:
> the FAN and i (maybe mike g too)are starting dialouge about running a
> reffed tourny this fall somewhere in nc.  we were thinking about a 12
> team, college mens only event in which we would try to solicit the
> best possible teams to play in a reffed tourny.  there would be 4 refs
> per game and we would try and work out the budget such that refs could
> get paid but the E.F. would still be reasonable.  are ther any college
> teams that would be into playing in such an event?  I believe we have
> about 6 refs so far......so if you think you could handle reffin ($20
> per game) the plese respond.  lets keep everything public so that rsd
> fans can monitor the dialouge.

Ah a relevant post and some hope for action on a field. Good luck
with the tournament. (seriously).

Greenough
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33750 is a reply to message #33748] Wed, 05 August 2009 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 5, 6:20 pm, Greenough <jgreeno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 3:03 pm, ulticritic <ulticri...@live.com> wrote:
>
> > the FAN and i (maybe mike g too)are starting dialouge about running a
> > reffed tourny this fall somewhere in nc.  we were thinking about a 12
> > team, college mens only event in which we would try to solicit the
> > best possible teams to play in a reffed tourny.  there would be 4 refs
> > per game and we would try and work out the budget such that refs could
> > get paid but the E.F. would still be reasonable.  are ther any college
> > teams that would be into playing in such an event?  I believe we have
> > about 6 refs so far......so if you think you could handle reffin ($20
> > per game) the plese respond.  lets keep everything public so that rsd
> > fans can monitor the dialouge.
>
> Ah a relevant post and some hope for action on a field.  Good luck
> with the tournament. (seriously).
>
> Greenough

grassy ass
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33762 is a reply to message #33750] Wed, 05 August 2009 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacob
Messages: 576
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
What will you call the sport being played?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33765 is a reply to message #33762] Wed, 05 August 2009 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 5, 9:20 pm, jacob <jacobsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What will you call the sport being played?

ultimate.....you got a problem with that?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33775 is a reply to message #33765] Wed, 05 August 2009 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacob
Messages: 576
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
me: "What will you call the sport being played?"

Toad: "ultimate.....you got a problem with that?"

I'd shorten this name to: "you got a problem with that?"
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33791 is a reply to message #33775] Thu, 06 August 2009 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 6, 1:52 am, jacob <jacobsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> me: "What will you call the sport being played?"
>
> Toad: "ultimate.....you got a problem with that?"
>
> I'd shorten this name to: "you got a problem with that?"

how about, as a tribute to mj........."whatsthepromlem"
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33812 is a reply to message #33762] Thu, 06 August 2009 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Aug 5, 8:20 pm, jacob <jacobsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What will you call the sport being played?

The Preface of the 11th Edition (I.C, Captains Clause) allows for
Ultimate to be played under "any variation of the rules agreed upon by
the captains of the teams involved." and "In tournament play,
variations are subject to approval by the event organizer." and
Preface I.D allows the event organizer to "modify the rules relating
to game logistics in order to suit the event. Examples include game
length . . . and observer operations."

I assume we will also be holding all players to the strict definition
of "Spirit of the Game" from the 11th Edition which for those of you
who are rusty, reads: "Ultimate relies on a spirit of sportsmanship
that places the responsibility for fair play on the player. Highly
competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of mutual
respect among competitors, adherence to agreed upon rules or the basic
joy of play. Protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate
unsportsmanlike conduct from the Ultimate field. Such actions as
taunting opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent
intimidation, intentional infractions or other "win-at-all-costs"
behavior are contrary to the spirit of the game and must be avoided by
all players."

However, there will be two changes:

1. we will refer to this code of conduct as "Sportsmanship" and

2. the refs will be armed with the power to actually enforce these
rules with penalties that have some actual teeth.


therefore, the sport being played will be called "Ultimate" and we
will forget about the fact that we will actually enforce the rules and
code that your sport only pretends to hold itself too.

The Fan
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33865 is a reply to message #33812] Thu, 06 August 2009 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MD
Messages: 98
Registered: September 2008
Member
Will you be filming the tourney and making the footage available
online? I remember there being clips of MLU online (might have been
Ultivillage, don't remember), which was interesting to see.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33870 is a reply to message #33865] Thu, 06 August 2009 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 6, 5:23 pm, MD <themongodogw...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Will you be filming the tourney and making the footage available
> online? I remember there being clips of MLU online (might have been
> Ultivillage, don't remember), which was interesting to see.

we need a date, a site, teams and about 5 to 10 more refs first. but
filming em would be a good idea........for studying our errors if for
nothing else
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33877 is a reply to message #33870] Thu, 06 August 2009 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luke
Messages: 293
Registered: October 2008
Location: Chicago
Senior Member
I'd be willing to film and edit the footage for both online use and
for any personal use of the TD's. I just need my expenses covered...

-luke johnson
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #33879 is a reply to message #33877] Thu, 06 August 2009 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 6, 10:17 pm, luketimjohnson <luketimjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be willing to film and edit the footage for both online use and
> for any personal use of the TD's.  I just need my expenses covered...
>
> -luke johnson

what would those expenses be.....speculativley
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34209 is a reply to message #33879] Tue, 11 August 2009 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luke
Messages: 293
Registered: October 2008
Location: Chicago
Senior Member
enough to cover my costs of getting out there, staying in a hotel, and
returning. If my former college team was invited and able to attend,
it would make it even cheaper since I could snag a ride with them out
of Chicago.

-luke
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34211 is a reply to message #34209] Tue, 11 August 2009 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 11, 8:29 am, luketimjohnson <luketimjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> enough to cover my costs of getting out there, staying in a hotel, and
> returning.  If my former college team was invited and able to attend,
> it would make it even cheaper since I could snag a ride with them out
> of Chicago.
>
> -luke

so gass and lodging??? done and done. what is your former college
and is thios by any chance the same college that was recently jazzed
up about refs and even did a little experimenting of your own?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34238 is a reply to message #34211] Tue, 11 August 2009 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luke
Messages: 293
Registered: October 2008
Location: Chicago
Senior Member
no, my former team is North Park University on the north side of
chicago. This college series we did the best we have done in our
history placing 5th after losing to Notre Dame in the first round of
Sunday's back-door.

-luke
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34241 is a reply to message #34238] Tue, 11 August 2009 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joshpmurphy
Messages: 114
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 11, 3:17 pm, luketimjohnson <luketimjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no, my former team is North Park University on the north side of
> chicago.  This college series we did the best we have done in our
> history placing 5th after losing to Notre Dame in the first round of
> Sunday's back-door.
>
> -luke

with refs, do players make any calls at all?

I'm in NC and would be interested in the possibility of reffing.

Also I recall the fan collecting some surveys at club QCTU, any
interesting results?

Thanks,
Josh
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34245 is a reply to message #33812] Tue, 11 August 2009 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete
Messages: 166
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Specifically, what penalties are you considering for sportsmanship
violations, and could you give examples of what would be considered
offenses that warrant penalties?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34249 is a reply to message #34241] Tue, 11 August 2009 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 11, 4:24 pm, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:.

>
> with refs, do players make any calls at all?

NO!
----------------------------------------------------
>
> I'm in NC and would be interested in the possibility of reffing.

cool, contact fan direct. just curious though, do you think you could
get 3 others interested from your area to form a local crew.......and
possibly practice up reffin some local pick up?

oh wait.....players CAN CALL heads or tails at the captians meeting
flip
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34250 is a reply to message #34245] Tue, 11 August 2009 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 11, 5:31 pm, Pete <hockeypeteschr...@gmail.com> wrote:.

> Specifically, what penalties are you considering for sportsmanship
> violations, and could you give examples of what would be considered
> offenses that warrant penalties?

obvious intentional fouls, overly aggressive fouls, talking shit to or
about the ref, etc.........all the normal stuff.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34267 is a reply to message #34250] Wed, 12 August 2009 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fetch
Messages: 28
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
You better expect to get shit talked too - you're a ref.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34298 is a reply to message #34267] Wed, 12 August 2009 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 12, 3:08 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You better expect to get shit talked too - you're a ref.

from players or fans? If its from a player he had better understand
his limmits and had better not try and show me up or he WILL be sent
off kickin a can. granted we are gonna make mistakes (players too)
and every ref will probably have a differnt skin thickness, but i'm
pretty sure players fully understand that they cant talk, argue or
critisize a ref in the same manner they do the opposing player/ref in
the current ref-less game of ultimate. dont you agree?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34300 is a reply to message #34267] Wed, 12 August 2009 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 12, 3:08 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You better expect to get shit talked too - you're a ref.

hey fetch, did you notice a few days ago where a centerfielder (in
mlb) threw up his hands in frustration over a pitch that was called a
"ball" and he was immediatly tossed? Thats how it works in real
sports with refs. ya just cant go around showing your ass the way you
guys currently do in your classic ult-debates with no 3rd party
supervision. And if you guys were to conduct yourselves more
properly AND manage your own games in a more efficient and effective
manner then maybe there wouldnt be nearly as much of a call for refs
(or refzervers) in the first place. so obviously sotg (in its refless
interpretation) is broken......or else so many wouldnt be trying to
fix it.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34302 is a reply to message #34300] Wed, 12 August 2009 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max
Messages: 343
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
> hey fetch, did you notice a few days ago where a centerfielder (in
> mlb) threw up his hands in frustration over a pitch that was called a
> "ball" and he was immediatly tossed?  Thats

haha really? all the way from center? what team was that, id like to
look up the news story.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34355 is a reply to message #34249] Wed, 12 August 2009 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joshpmurphy
Messages: 114
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 11, 8:31 pm, ulticritic <ulticri...@live.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 4:24 pm, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:.
>
>
>
> > with refs, do players make any calls at all?
>
> NO!
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> > I'm in NC and would be interested in the possibility of reffing.
>
> cool, contact fan direct.  just curious though, do you think you could
> get 3 others interested from your area to form a local crew.......and
> possibly practice up reffin some local pick up?
>
> oh wait.....players CAN CALL heads or tails at the captians meeting
> flip

I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34381 is a reply to message #34302] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 12, 11:07 am, Max <liebermanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hey fetch, did you notice a few days ago where a centerfielder (in
> > mlb) threw up his hands in frustration over a pitch that was called a
> > "ball" and he was immediatly tossed?  Thats
>
> haha really? all the way from center? what team was that, id like to
> look up the news story.

phillies......and, Look it up????????? IT JUST HAPPENED!!!. dont you
follow sports? its been a mid major story for the last week. I think
this is a big part of ultimates problems....most just dont know enough
about other sports to make ultimate more like them. sports are
great......you guys should check into them.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34382 is a reply to message #34355] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 12, 8:59 pm, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 8:31 pm, ulticritic <ulticri...@live.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Aug 11, 4:24 pm, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:.
>
> > > with refs, do players make any calls at all?
>
> > NO!
> > ----------------------------------------------------
>
> > > I'm in NC and would be interested in the possibility of reffing.
>
> > cool, contact fan direct.  just curious though, do you think you could
> > get 3 others interested from your area to form a local crew.......and
> > possibly practice up reffin some local pick up?
>
> > oh wait.....players CAN CALL heads or tails at the captians meeting
> > flip
>
> I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

i dont know what that is or is supposed to mean. what town in nc are
you from. surely there have to be a few other call savy types in your
area that comprehend the merrits of refs in sports......no?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34383 is a reply to message #34355] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agerics20
Messages: 8115
Registered: October 2008
Senior Member
> I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---Joshua, you're in NC?
what are you interested in joining Rob SM for?
Rob SM is coming to observe tournaments in wilmington this fall....
are you interested in observing games?
who's eegen shelter?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34384 is a reply to message #34383] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weddle
Messages: 308
Registered: January 2009
Senior Member
> who's eegen shelter?

-------------------------------------
-- Brian S.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34386 is a reply to message #34383] Thu, 13 August 2009 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agerics20
Messages: 8115
Registered: October 2008
Senior Member
> > I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


---what are you going to join Brian Sherry and Rob SM for?
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34397 is a reply to message #34386] Thu, 13 August 2009 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joshpmurphy
Messages: 114
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 13, 9:33 am, Reggie Fanelli <ageric...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.-
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> ---what are you going to join Brian Sherry and Rob SM for?

uh-oh, these wheels are moving too fast for this slow-minded Carrboro
yankee transplant. Let me get back to ya and check in the area for
some refs, maybe scpouLOS may be down.

I'm interested in observing games, for sure.

Thanks,
Josh
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34405 is a reply to message #34397] Thu, 13 August 2009 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ulticritic
Messages: 8204
Registered: April 2009
Senior Member
On Aug 13, 10:06 am, Joshua <joshpmur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 9:33 am, Reggie Fanelli <ageric...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > I could try - I'd be better off joining Rob S-M, Eegen Shelter.-
>
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> > ---what are you going to join Brian Sherry and Rob SM for?
>
> uh-oh, these wheels are moving too fast for this slow-minded Carrboro
> yankee transplant. Let me get back to ya and check in the area for
> some refs, maybe scpouLOS may be down.
>
> I'm interested in observing games, for sure.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

personally, i think you should try to experience both reffing and
observing. especially mike g's oua observing program as it seems its
just a tweak away from full blown reffing. Thing is, most have
already experienced observed ulti whereas reffed ultimate is virtually
uncharted territory. To me, the reffed game is just more pure because
it takes out all the tactically fouling and calling that enable the
players to statigically slow the game down when and if needed. There
is also the ability of players to foul edlessly as many times the
foulee's wont even call it because they know the consequense to the
fouler dosent justify taking the mo away from their team by stopping
play without a penalty just to acknowledge theres a foul. I like the
motivation that player foul limmits provide personally.....and i think
youde see the ole marker bump all but eliminated from the game if
players knew they only had so many fouls(3??) to give/make. then ya
cant discount the idea of players being free'd up to simply "play the
game" and not have to worry about officiating too.

steve is definitely the man to talk to up there.....or jimmy h. of
course we first need a team state, duke or unc to step up and agree to
host the event prior to the wheels going much further. It would
undoubtedly be a great learning experience and help to dispell a lot
of the speculation that people have towards reffed ulti in
general......be it positive speculation or negitive
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34412 is a reply to message #34381] Thu, 13 August 2009 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max
Messages: 343
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
> > haha really? all the way from center? what team was that, id like to
> > look up the news story.
>
> phillies......and, Look it up?????????  IT JUST HAPPENED!!!. dont you
> follow sports? its been a mid major story for the last week.  I think
> this is a big part of ultimates problems....most just dont know enough
> about other sports to make ultimate more like them.  sports are
> great......you guys should check into them.

Holy shit calm down. I don't watch SC every fricking day, and when I
do, I don't always watch the whole hour. And I certainly change the
channel when the Phillies highlight comes on. I didn't see any talking
heads on the pre-sportscenter shows talking about it either. But sir,
YOUR problem is you make sweeping generalizations about the community
to fit your agenda. That's lame.
Re: TH E WHEELS ARE IN MOTION [message #34415 is a reply to message #34412] Thu, 13 August 2009 09:09 Go to previous message
Max
Messages: 343
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
> > phillies......and, Look it up?????????  IT JUST HAPPENED!!!. dont you
> > follow sports? its been a mid major story for the last week.  I think
> > this is a big part of ultimates problems....most just dont know enough
> > about other sports to make ultimate more like them.  sports are
> > great......you guys should check into them.

Saw the video. The stories I found commited about three sentences each
to the ejection itself. But anyway, this is one example of over-
policing and abuse of power, AND the subsequent player's disrespect
for the official when he nearly battering-rammed the ump as he came
in.
Previous Topic:Cooler Classic- looking to pickup with a team
Next Topic:Attention Philadelphia Area College Teams!
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Feb 25 10:01:45 PST 2020
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software