Forum Search:
RSD No Spam
rec.sport.disc without the spam


Home » RSD » RSD Posts » Question to those who like Conference one
Question to those who like Conference one [message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 08:23 Go to next message
Fetch
Messages: 28
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
following question answered. Please feel free to elaborate but most
importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
you answer.

Why do you play Ultimate?
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3138 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abe
Messages: 13
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
On Oct 16, 10:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> you answer.
>
> Why do you play Ultimate?

I suppose that I favor C1 in that it seems beneficial to growing the
sport at the college level, at least to those teams included. It
definitely creates a deeper division between the "elite" programs and
everyone else. It will create a new level of ultimate that currently
does not exist. It may fail, and it may be the wrong approach, but I
like the attempt.

I play ultimate because I like the flow of the game. It's physically
demanding and very strategic in nature. You don't need much to play a
game, other than other people and a disc. It can be tremendously
competitive, and the game forces me to try harder every time I play.
I almost always feel better after playing, though extremely sore, than
before I play. I feel a huge sense of anticipation before playing a
game at any level. (league, college, club, even decent pick-up
games) I love the pressure I feel to perform well and not let my
teammates or myself down. Ultimate is fun to play, not so much to
watch, at least in its current format.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3145 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daag Alemayehu
Messages: 249
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> you answer.
>
> Why do you play Ultimate?

I like C1 because it's sweet and fuck spirit and I'm going to be on
ESPN baby!! I play ultimate because I like spiking frisbees on
hippies' faces.

Is that the kind of answer you were looking for, Fetch?
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3150 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parinella
Messages: 126
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> you answer.
>
> Why do you play Ultimate?

I'm perhaps surprisingly somewhat in favor of the idea. Not strongly,
and I have reservations about the ability of Cultimate to pull this
off, and of course I wonder what this would do to the UPA, but
thinking of it from a top 25 college player point of view, I'd be
pretty excited.

I play because I like the competition. I love hard, tight games
against good opponents. I also can enjoy recreational ultimate, but I
have a serious distaste for games played in a competitive atmosphere
that have no chance of actually being competitive.

Jim
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3154 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joadntoad
Messages: 1411
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> you answer.
>
> Why do you play Ultimate?

to WIN!!!!! "YOU PLAY THE GAME TO WIN!!!!"
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3156 is a reply to message #3150] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wagenwheel
Messages: 323
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 12:04 pm, Parinella <parin...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> > following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> > importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> > answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> > you answer.
>
> > Why do you play Ultimate?
>
> I'm perhaps surprisingly somewhat in favor of the idea.  Not strongly,
> and I have reservations about the ability of Cultimate to pull this
> off, and of course I wonder what this would do to the UPA, but
> thinking of it from a top 25 college player point of view, I'd be
> pretty excited.
>
> I play because I like the competition.  I love hard, tight games
> against good opponents.  I also can enjoy recreational ultimate, but I
> have a serious distaste for games played in a competitive atmosphere
> that have no chance of actually being competitive.
>
> Jim

I play ultimate for the same reason I play basketball, tennis, and
golf. I love competition. Ultimate, even at Summer League levels
(which is pretty intense in this town) provides a competitive
release. Pick up hoops at the college on court #1 with the ballers
allows me to compete. Playing golf against low handicappers allows me
to compete. I love competition, especially when they are a the same
or higher level. For this reason I like C-1, they are onto something,
but gots some stuff to work out.

I agree with Parinella. We went to some tourney where we crushed
everyone. While the bulk of our team was celebrating, a fellow
teammate comes over and says, "Big fucking deal". I used to skip
sectionals as a college player because the section was lame and we
knew we could take it with no problems.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3161 is a reply to message #3150] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wagenwheel
Messages: 323
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
-I
have a serious distaste for games played in a competitive atmosphere
that have no chance of actually being competitive.-

I call these injury games.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3163 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axl
Messages: 11
Registered: October 2008
Junior Member
I play Ultimate because it includes so many aspects of other sports
that I love. I love the quick explosions when breaking away from my
guy, the combination of finesse and power necessary to huck the disc,
watching my teammate run down the inside-out huck I threw to him on
the break side, the quick reaction time of making that last second
layout D, the feeling of chasing a disc down that you thought you
would never catch, the feeling of catching the disc in the end zone
after making my end zone iso cut leaving my guy on the ground, and
getting caught up in the moment working the disc up the field
flawlessly with teammates…everything flowing so smoothly.

At times I hate Ultimate, but I couldn’t imagine my life without it.
It is tough dedicating yourself to getting better; making myself go to
the gym at 10:30pm because I haven’t had time during the day. I live
for the practices, parties, cheers, long car rides, tournaments,
countless pairs of different types of cleats, water, and Gatorade. I
live for way it feels when you beat the team next to you by 1 point in
on double game and realize that those 2 extra sprints you ran in
practice were worth it. I live for the family ties formed with
teammates over my 5 years of playing.

Ultimate is what made me an athlete. When I found Ultimate my freshman
year in high school I ran by lifting my right arm with right leg
(everyone else in history runs using opposite arm and leg motion. It
is Ultimate that drove me into the gym and forced me to push myself at
the 5 practices we had a week. It is the success that I individually
experienced that pushed me even farther.

I am an athlete and that is why I play Ultimate. I am an athlete and
that is why I love Ultimate. I am an athlete and that is why I support
Conference 1.

Ultimate needed someone to take control and start writing history
instead of allowing the blank pages keep turning.

Axl
15
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3189 is a reply to message #3136] Thu, 16 October 2008 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faddy
Messages: 310
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> you answer.
>
> Why do you play Ultimate?

to win, of course.....mostly.

they got the right idea (CU), just some mis-execution in the early
stages, perhaps.

toadstradamus saw this coming.

i'd say.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3199 is a reply to message #3145] Thu, 16 October 2008 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Douglas T Lilley
Messages: 674
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 1:24 pm, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It was my intent to ask this as a rhetorical question to better paint
> the bigger picture.  I think we all play for reasons which are
> legitimate, and I am asking everyone- it's not just a question to C1
> fans even though the title might indicate so.  It is perfectly OK to
> ask someone why they play a sport though and to ask a population that
> likely is in favor of more competition as to why they play a sport is
> even all the more reason to ask the question.  To compete in a sport
> is a valid answer so why is it bad to ask them why you play a sport?
> There is no denying that competition is fun, that is why I play - I
> like the challenges that Ultimate can bring to a team and to varying
> degree challenges that are faced individually.  The most fun games are
> the ones when the outcome is uncertain.  I love the health aspect, and
> the lifetime fitness plan as well as the friendships and team dynamic.
>
> I guess the next question should really be, can C1 provide you with
> these needs better than the UPA?
>
> At the moment I think the answer is no-unless I got 6 plane tickets
> for free then I would consider it all over again.  I like the idea of
> it (maybe) however if you think that Ultimate is wrong the way it is
> then why did you, me, and others all join the sport?  It is unique and
> yes if we all got paid to play it would likely be played at a higher
> level. I am still undecided at the moment as to favor or not favor C1
> but I do know it has me going back and forth.
>
> I do like what Paranella said above about atmosphere and level of
> play.
>
> Fetch


I think it's a great question and appreciate your asking it. I've
done the aging disc player cycle (pickup/college/club/league/pick up)
and I play for these reasons in this order
the people
excercise
competition
some vague feeling of self satisfaction if I play well

I have my doubts about C1. If this ends up causing a more or less
permanent split between the alleged top 25 and all the rest they will
have done the game a big diservice. Also, re: the complaints that the
good teams don't get to play any real competition until sectionals or
regionals, whose fault is that? It's somewhat lame to say that you
are incapable of scheduling competitive games during the season. If
you really want nonstop competition, join a club team in the (college)
off season.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3215 is a reply to message #3163] Thu, 16 October 2008 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fish
Messages: 46
Registered: September 2008
Member
On Oct 16, 10:45 am, CBrowning <cb.brown...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 11:45 am, Axl <Layoutpo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > I play Ultimate because it includes so many aspects of other sports
> > that I love. I love the quick explosions when breaking away from my
> > guy, the combination of finesse and power necessary to huck the disc,
> > watching my teammate run down the inside-out huck I threw to him on
> > the break side, the quick reaction time of making that last second
> > layout D, the feeling of chasing a disc down that you thought you
> > would never catch, the feeling of catching the disc in the end zone
> > after making my end zone iso cut leaving my guy on the ground, and
> > getting caught up in the moment working the disc up the field
> > flawlessly with teammates…everything flowing so smoothly.
>
> > At times I hate Ultimate, but I couldn’t imagine my life without it.
> > It is tough dedicating yourself to getting better; making myself go to
> > the gym at 10:30pm because I haven’t had time during the day. I live
> > for the practices, parties, cheers, long car rides, tournaments,
> > countless pairs of different types of cleats, water, and Gatorade. I
> > live for way it feels when you beat the team next to you by 1 point in
> > on double game and realize that those 2 extra sprints you ran in
> > practice were worth it. I live for the family ties formed with
> > teammates over my 5 years of playing.
>
> > Ultimate is what made me an athlete. When I found Ultimate my freshman
> > year in high school I ran by lifting my right arm with right leg
> > (everyone else in history runs using opposite arm and leg motion. It
> > is Ultimate that drove me into the gym and forced me to push myself at
> > the 5 practices we had a week. It is the success that I individually
> > experienced that pushed me even farther.
>
> > I am an athlete and that is why I play Ultimate. I am an athlete and
> > that is why I love Ultimate. I am an athlete and that is why I support
> > Conference 1.
>
> > Ultimate needed someone to take control and start writing history
> > instead of allowing the blank pages keep turning.
>
> > Axl
> > 15
>
> Easily one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I have ever
> read!  I am imagining a re-inactment of the scene at the end of "The
> Breakfast Club" where the nerd kid gives himself a "you done good
> sport" punch on the arm after he finishes writing his "You can see us
> as you want to see us" essay.  Priceless!

that's two for this guy in as many days. a new rsd superstar without
even knowing it?
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3383 is a reply to message #3215] Fri, 17 October 2008 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mbmackey
Messages: 37
Registered: October 2008
Member
Still undecided on C1. My two opinions are thus:
1) I'm glad I just graduated and don't have to make this decision
2) I'm glad the boys left behind weren't picked in this "elite" group
and don't have to make this decision.

It's a good time for all of us on the outside, pontificating and
theorizing--outside of a few recurring themes in discussion, though, I
don't see most of the RSD chatter leading to much. Idle hands and all
that.

That said, at a simple level, why I play ultimate:

1) I love to learn

2) I love to teach

Really, any of you that like busting ass, getting better, and feeling
success (I count myself part of said group), are just getting the
positive feedback that comes from learning. It's a great thing to
make the big play--because it lets you know that all this time you've
spent obsessed with a silly game (and all sports are silly games, in
the end*) has led to some tangible result. I can understand
associating your good feelings relating to this game with your
results--your struggles and successes on the field, but really, it's
the process that leads to it that enables the result to feel so good.

So, I enjoy the process. I enjoy the learning, making progress as a
player and a person, and it's great to get feedback that reaffirms
that process.

Likewise, I really enjoy helping other people experience the same
thing. This is why I compete. I test my learning against your
learning, and in so doing, we both get to learn even more.
Competition's a beautiful thing. This is also why I teach. (this is
why I blog).

Big pluses come from the community and camaraderie that comes with
playing, of course--especially in college--but, for me, I'd happily
toil in relative obscurity and take what comes for better or worse
(and I happily do currently).

-Mackey
Formerly #33, Dartmouth
(disclaimer: this message written by a hippie who plays in a skirt)


*go Sox.
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3398 is a reply to message #3383] Fri, 17 October 2008 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pooner
Messages: 33
Registered: September 2008
Member
abe said:
"I play ultimate because I like the flow of the game. It's
physically
demanding and very strategic in nature. You don't need much to play
a
game, other than other people and a disc. It can be tremendously
competitive, and the game forces me to try harder every time I play.
I almost always feel better after playing, though extremely sore,
than
before I play. I feel a huge sense of anticipation before playing a
game at any level. (league, college, club, even decent pick-up
games) I love the pressure I feel to perform well and not let my
teammates or myself down. Ultimate is fun to play, not so much to
watch, at least in its current format."

Wagenwheel said:
"I play ultimate for the same reason I play basketball, tennis, and
golf. I love competition. Ultimate, even at Summer League levels
(which is pretty intense in this town) provides a competitive
release. Pick up hoops at the college on court #1 with the ballers
allows me to compete. Playing golf against low handicappers allows
me
to compete. I love competition, especially when they are a the same
or higher level."

Axl said:
"I play Ultimate because it includes so many aspects of other sports
that I love. I love the quick explosions when breaking away from my
guy, the combination of finesse and power necessary to huck the disc,
watching my teammate run down the inside-out huck I threw to him on
the break side, the quick reaction time of making that last second
layout D, the feeling of chasing a disc down that you thought you
would never catch, the feeling of catching the disc in the end zone
after making my end zone iso cut leaving my guy on the ground, and
getting caught up in the moment working the disc up the field
flawlessly with teammates…everything flowing so smoothly."

I say:
I play ultimate for these reasons as well as other crazy fun times
associated with the social scene, but the latter reason is not exactly
on the table right now. The big difference here is in outlooks: when
i feel a good thing, ie the competitiveness and anticipation and
excitement, i wanna share it (aww), not justify it. When you're
through with college, even if/when you're through with club, more and
more players feel this way, and also wanna share the rainbows, even if
they are win-fucking-win-win-win rainbows, of ultimate. Not just with
spectators, as most agree it's more heckler friendly than spectator
friendly, but with other players. Hence the coaching, unpaid td's and
coordinators, even writing a handbook, etc..

This was already hinted at, but it's difficult to say who is being
selfish when 10% "elite" wanna take off and expect the other 90%
"rabble" to be fine with it. Really, I'm asking sincerely: Who is
being selfish here? Should the 90% say, hey, you guys that think
you're so hot and have been in the past, go represent, we'll be here
playing stickball? Or should the 10% say, look, some more patience is
in order, there's a lot of factors that make a sport "legitimate" and
"popular," let's get our kicks where we can get them, teach the next
generation the same, and enjoy what we've got?

But, in sooth, boo cultimate. The best you can say about them is they
brought an issue that was coming to light anyways to the clear and
present. But there should be competitiveness on the field, not in the
administration. Yay for capitalism and all, but we're all buying the
same product! If you don't like the product, experiment with the
rules and refs and do yer thing on the side till that gets more
popular. It's as if Toad invaded the UPA and started force feeding
his ideas around somehow; these guys didn't even bother running for
the board.

pooner
16
Re: Question to those who like Conference one [message #3466 is a reply to message #3156] Fri, 17 October 2008 11:48 Go to previous message
BJ
Messages: 197
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
On Oct 16, 11:28 am, Wagenwheel <ewagensel...@ec.rr.com> wrote:
> On Oct 16, 12:04 pm, Parinella <parin...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Oct 16, 11:23 am, Fetch <discoscalien...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > To the people who are in favor of Conference 1, I would like the
> > > following question answered.  Please feel free to elaborate but most
> > > importantly please DO NOT STEM from the question...actually anyone can
> > > answer this question, just state kind of how you feel about C1 before
> > > you answer.
>
> > > Why do you play Ultimate?
>
> > I'm perhaps surprisingly somewhat in favor of the idea.  Not strongly,
> > and I have reservations about the ability of Cultimate to pull this
> > off, and of course I wonder what this would do to the UPA, but
> > thinking of it from a top 25 college player point of view, I'd be
> > pretty excited.
>
> > I play because I like the competition.  I love hard, tight games
> > against good opponents.  I also can enjoy recreational ultimate, but I
> > have a serious distaste for games played in a competitive atmosphere
> > that have no chance of actually being competitive.
>
> > Jim
>
> I play ultimate for the same reason I play basketball, tennis, and
> golf.  I love competition.  Ultimate, even at Summer League levels
> (which is pretty intense in this town) provides a competitive
> release.  Pick up hoops at the college on court #1 with the ballers
> allows me to compete.  Playing golf against low handicappers allows me
> to compete.  I love competition, especially when they are a the same
> or higher level.  For this reason I like C-1, they are onto something,
> but gots some stuff to work out.
>
> I agree with Parinella.  We went to some tourney where we crushed
> everyone.  While the bulk of our team was celebrating, a fellow
> teammate comes over and says, "Big fucking deal".  I used to skip
> sectionals as a college player because the section was lame and we
> knew we could take it with no problems.

UR SO GOOD AT EVERYTHING!!!
Previous Topic:Conference 1
Next Topic:Is C1 a ploy by the NW/AC to secure more bids??
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Feb 25 09:53:48 PST 2020
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software