Forum Search:
RSD No Spam
rec.sport.disc without the spam


Home » RSD » RSD Posts » Untouched Discs (Vanderbilt University's High School Tournament (Nov 19-20))
Untouched Discs [message #102974] Mon, 05 September 2011 19:34 Go to next message
Amir
Messages: 6
Registered: August 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Junior Member
Nov 19-20

Listen up all you young'ns! Don't miss out on an awesome opportunity to be a part of a new tradition. Vanderbilt Ultimate is hosting its first annual youth tournament: Untouched Discs. 16 youth open teams will compete for the title of first ever Untouched Discs champions. The tournament will be at Vanderbilt's student recreation fields. The fields will all be lined. Water will be at every field and a trainer will be present. Also, Spin Ultimate has agreed to be the official merchandise sponsor of the tournament to supply you with lots of sweet gear!

Direct any questions or inquiries to brickhouseultimate@gmail.com
Fee: $175
Re: Untouched Discs [message #102987 is a reply to message #102974] Tue, 06 September 2011 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agerics20
Messages: 8115
Registered: October 2008
Senior Member
what does the tournament name mean?
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103014 is a reply to message #102987] Tue, 06 September 2011 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knappy
Messages: 830
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
quite the racy name for a youth tournament.

doesn't offend me, just saying



Re: Untouched Discs [message #103024 is a reply to message #103014] Tue, 06 September 2011 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amir
Messages: 6
Registered: August 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Junior Member
Yes the name is a bit racy and has a touch of innuendo. To come up with the name we had a competition in which members of our team submitted suggestions and we had a vote at the end; this was the winner. It is all meant in good humor, not to offend. It is also in reference to the youth of the players and all the experience we hope they will gain from playing in tournaments like this (cheesy but no less truthful). We are also considering having each bracket game played with a brand new disc but that isn't certain yet.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103030 is a reply to message #103024] Tue, 06 September 2011 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knappy
Messages: 830
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
In order to not offend anyone school-related or of the parental variety, best to steer away from references to virginal genitalia.



Re: Untouched Discs [message #103031 is a reply to message #103030] Tue, 06 September 2011 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
Stick to your guns and don't change the name.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103036 is a reply to message #103031] Tue, 06 September 2011 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
yep, damn the administrators, teachers, parents and all those other voting age guardian types. make yourselves as fringe as possible. that's the best way to get people to your event.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103054 is a reply to message #103024] Tue, 06 September 2011 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie Fanelli
Messages: 1958
Registered: September 2011
Senior Member
> Yes the name is a bit racy and has a touch of innuendo.
~~~~~~~

---JUST a "touch", huh?
ought not be touchin' that, probably.

or....

hey....THIS could be ANOTHER thing to help "SELL" ultimate to middle
school and high school kids!
1st.....the sport has no refs....the kids call their own fouls and
violations.
2nd....cute tournament names like 'untouched weiner'....when the kids
and parents are probably used to tournament names like 'holiday
classic' or 'greensboro shootout' or 'st valentines day classic' or
'firecracker invitational' or
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103056 is a reply to message #103036] Tue, 06 September 2011 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
Ultimate is fringe.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103061 is a reply to message #103056] Tue, 06 September 2011 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amir
Messages: 6
Registered: August 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Junior Member
Guys, I appreciate all the feedback on the tournament name (even the negative/sarcastic feedback) but I don't want this post to turn in to an argument about whether the name is appropriate or not. I will consult with my team and discuss if we want to change the name. I thought the name was clever and funny but in the end all we want to do and all we care about is put on a well-run, competitive, youth tournament.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103076 is a reply to message #103061] Wed, 07 September 2011 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T H
Messages: 1142
Registered: July 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Senior Member
Amir wrote on Tue, 06 September 2011 19:45
Guys, I appreciate all the feedback on the tournament name (even the negative/sarcastic feedback) but I don't want this post to turn in to an argument about whether the name is appropriate or not. I will consult with my team and discuss if we want to change the name. I thought the name was clever and funny but in the end all we want to do and all we care about is put on a well-run, competitive, youth tournament.



While your school may be the one running the tournament, if the high school coaches in your area haven't mentioned any objection then it may not be a big deal.

FWIW: no one commented on the tourny name when i posted this to the Chattanooga message board.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103077 is a reply to message #102974] Wed, 07 September 2011 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsdlogin
Messages: 103
Registered: November 2010
Location: Raleigh
Senior Member
I honestly read it as fresh plastic but get the innuendo now.

I coach a high school team and would not be ok with my team going to a tourney that references genitalia, untouched or not. Also pretty sure the parents (at least some) would object and probably take their kids off the team.

My two cents.

Good luck with the tourney and if you change the name I will talk to the team about attending. Small chance but you never know what they want to do and the more options the better.

Thanks!

Ian
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103079 is a reply to message #103077] Wed, 07 September 2011 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
rsdlogin wrote on Wed, 07 September 2011 09:17
I honestly read it as fresh plastic but get the innuendo now.

I coach a high school team and would not be ok with my team going to a tourney that references genitalia, untouched or not. Also pretty sure the parents (at least some) would object and probably take their kids off the team.

My two cents.

Good luck with the tourney and if you change the name I will talk to the team about attending. Small chance but you never know what they want to do and the more options the better.

Thanks!

Ian


Assholes like you always have to ruin the fun parts of life.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103081 is a reply to message #103079] Wed, 07 September 2011 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsdlogin
Messages: 103
Registered: November 2010
Location: Raleigh
Senior Member
jeremy.mcnamara wrote on Wed, 07 September 2011 09:41
rsdlogin wrote on Wed, 07 September 2011 09:17
I honestly read it as fresh plastic but get the innuendo now.

I coach a high school team and would not be ok with my team going to a tourney that references genitalia, untouched or not. Also pretty sure the parents (at least some) would object and probably take their kids off the team.

My two cents.

Good luck with the tourney and if you change the name I will talk to the team about attending. Small chance but you never know what they want to do and the more options the better.

Thanks!

Ian


Assholes like you always have to ruin the fun parts of life.



ok internet tough guy, simmer down. Just always trying to avoid certain situations before they happen and hearing from parents/administrators about something as stupid as this would be a waste of my time so I avoid it.

This is already more words than you deserve/

Ian
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103084 is a reply to message #103081] Wed, 07 September 2011 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
jeremy mac, what are you, 12?

guy says, I coach ultimate, i'm giving back to the ultimate youth, and i'd like to possibly bring my team to help support your tournament and ultimate youth but the administrators and parents of these minors might have a problem with the sexual innuendo name of your tournament.

and he's an asshole? ruining the fun parts of life? like not getting the fledgling HS ultimate team off on the wrong foot in a brand new school year with the people who sign the forms and pay the bills?
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103113 is a reply to message #103079] Wed, 07 September 2011 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie Fanelli
Messages: 1958
Registered: September 2011
Senior Member
> > Ian
>
> Assholes like you always have to ruin the fun parts of life.
~~~~~~~~~~


---assholes????????????????........like Ian Pratt?????????????????

huh???????????
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103115 is a reply to message #103030] Wed, 07 September 2011 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EuhNGroups
Messages: 1020
Registered: August 2011
Senior Member
Knappy wrote on Tue, 06 September 2011 12:25
In order to not offend anyone school-related or of the parental variety, best to steer away from references to virginal genitalia.




Americans are so uptight about sex/nudity...

Re: Untouched Discs [message #103118 is a reply to message #103115] Wed, 07 September 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knappy
Messages: 830
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
J mac, didn't you get like 5 votes for UPA board because you were such an asshole on RSD?

try to be nicer, next time.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103134 is a reply to message #103118] Thu, 08 September 2011 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
Knappy, I stand behind what I said and make no apologies for being an asshole. Overly PC assholes are a drain on fun. Please tell me exactly what the repercussions of naming the tournament with a risque name are. Are they gonna get hooked on heroin? Are they gonna all go bang each other because the name forced them to? Exactly how will the name of the tournament adversely affect their life? Anybody that says he'd boycott the tourney because of that name is an idiot, especially considering that he didn't even get the name initially.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103142 is a reply to message #103134] Thu, 08 September 2011 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Junior, here's how:

high school ultimate teams are at the mercy of the administrators at the school and the parents of the kids on the team. those are the people that sign the forms and pay the bills. now let's say they give the ole' fuckem approach, hell with what they think, we name our tournament what we want and we go where we want.

Buses, gone.
parents to give rides to practice and tournaments, gone.
chaperones for overnight trips, gone.
wait, the permission for that overnight trip was revoked anyways so it doesn't matter.

maybe you're too young to have any idea how the world works.

maybe you're so smart you just can't grasp the workings of the small minded people who run the lives of YOUTH ultimate players. but they run the lives of the youth. every couple years there's a college program that gets suspended for some silly little thing that most of us think is harmless or just goofy. (oregon, UNCW come to mind)

so, hooked on heroin? no. lots of banging each other? nope.

adversly affect their lives? well, if they get their practice fields taken away, their funding cut, their ability to travel suspended or their team simply disbanded because the administrator didn't think it was all that cool for them to be representing his school at a tournament with a cute sexual innuendo name, that would affect their lives.

why, they'd probably be forced to play a sport with refs and hop merrily along the road to cheating and poor sportsmanship.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103149 is a reply to message #103142] Thu, 08 September 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
I'm glad you're in agreement with me that there is no direct harm caused by any naming. I am disappointed that you are too cowardly to convince anyone of the same.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103152 is a reply to message #103149] Thu, 08 September 2011 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
if that's what you got out of my post, you're dumber than i thought.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103153 is a reply to message #103152] Thu, 08 September 2011 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you explain what the solution to small minded people is.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103154 is a reply to message #103153] Thu, 08 September 2011 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
when you're a high school team the one and only solution is to follow the rules.

what is it they say?

grant me the strength to change the things i can,
the patience to withstand those i can't
and the wisdom to know the difference.


here, the wisdom is: you're a high schooler on a high school team. you answer to administrators, teachers, principals and commissioners, all of whom answer to the state or county or district.

so jump on up there, tell them suits how much fun it is to choose a name that refers to virgin dicks instead of something that won't offend anyone and get them to step in line with you.

or shut up, run a good fun tournament, name it something that doesn't draw the wrong kind of attention and get people to focus on the sport itself instead of the stupid name that a handfull of kids came up with on a whim.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103155 is a reply to message #103154] Thu, 08 September 2011 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
The only problem with your argument is that the OP isn't a player, he's the coach, and therefore none of what you said applies.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103156 is a reply to message #103155] Thu, 08 September 2011 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T H
Messages: 1142
Registered: July 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Senior Member
jeremy.mcnamara wrote on Thu, 08 September 2011 11:51
The only problem with your argument is that the OP isn't a player, he's the coach, and therefore none of what you said applies.



Are you sure?

Pretty sure Amir is a Vandy captain (he could coach a HS team as well). Remember this tournament isn't being put on by some HS league or team, it's being put on by a college team.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103157 is a reply to message #103154] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
it's baffling that you can't see the problem here. granted it's not a huge problem. if they keep the name, no one will die.

but here in the ultimate community, which is pretty liberal, there are people saying "that's not a great idea" and you have a coach who is saying that he wouldn't bring his team because it might cause some problems with parents or administrators.

so the direct harm in the name of the tournament? you alienate some teams that otherwise might have come. now, if you are turning teams away due to lack of space, then that's not a problem, but that's not usually the case. in alienating teams from the tournament, you lose money. now maybe the kids on the team have to shell out a little extra for discs, or travel, whatever. maybe some parents or kids decide that it's getting too expensive and stop playing. after all, pick up is free. maybe the administrators at the host school decide it's not worth the effort to run a tournament and decide against it next year.

it just doesn't make sense to keep defending a move that could hold back the development of youth ultimate when it's so simple to avoid.

Re: Untouched Discs [message #103158 is a reply to message #103156] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
Sorry, I meant OA (original asshole) Ian, not OP.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103161 is a reply to message #103156] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Quote:

The only problem with your argument is that the OP isn't a player, he's the coach, and therefore none of what you said applies.


you are dense as hell. the OP could be the superintendent of schools in whatever county the tournament is being held in and everything i said applies.

the hosts are likely going to want to fill the tournament with more than one or two teams. this is likely to require more than one high school. they probably think it would be cool to have someone come from another state (as Ian, rsdaccount mentioned, he's from Triangle area, NC).

so, if any of that is true, they might want to avoid raising the feathers up of the different coaches, teachers, principals, commissioners and most importantly parents that are represented by those other teams.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103162 is a reply to message #103158] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
The facts are simple. A college team is hosting a HS tourney named Untouched Discs. Some asshole refuses to bring his team because his vagina has been offended. He is the one not allowing his HS team to play competitive ultimate and restricting development.

By the way, props to Vandy for running this. They are promoting HS ultimate. That is great for several reasons. Obviously the more opportunities for HS teams to play in tourneys the better. By having a college host a tourney it both gives the kids some insight into their possible future if they stick with the game and lets the college team look for potential recruits.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103163 is a reply to message #103161] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Quote:

jeremy.mcnamara wrote on Thu, 08 September 2011 11:51
The only problem with your argument is that the OP isn't a player, he's the coach, and therefore none of what you said applies.


Are you sure?

Pretty sure Amir is a Vandy captain (he could coach a HS team as well). Remember this tournament isn't being put on by some HS league or team, it's being put on by a college team.


Thanks, T H for clearing up the "only problem" with my argument. Since that was it, and now it's not a problem, i guess we can put the issue to bed, right? i mean, it was the "only problem" but you had a minor misconception that led to your disgreement with the "only problem". so, now that the "only problem" is no longer a problem, I'm glad we were able to work it out.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103165 is a reply to message #103162] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Quote:

The facts are simple. A college team is hosting a HS tourney named Untouched Discs. Some asshole refuses to bring his team because his vagina has been offended. He is the one not allowing his HS team to play competitive ultimate and restricting development.



you said it brother. that guy is an asshole. what a vagina. i mean here's this selfish Ian bastard, coaching a high school ultimate team, which he probably only does for the money, and he won't take them 9 hrs to a tournament just because they gave it a goofy sex name and it might tick off some parents and/or some higher ups at his school.

what a dick. how can we get rid of this guy who is not allowing his team to play? we need to stop him from all of the youth ultimate development restricting he's doing. he is robbing the youth at his school of opportunities to play ultimate, just because it might offend some of the people who support his program.

Jeremy, i'm starting to think you're just messing with us. please, tell me your just laughing your ass of over there at me for taking your bait.

okay, you win. you got me. how could i believe anyone would actually be that dumb?
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103166 is a reply to message #103165] Thu, 08 September 2011 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeremy.mcnamara
Messages: 519
Registered: November 2008
Location: Albany
Senior Member
Haha. You called me out so I'll fess up. I'm laughing my ass off. I was bored while running some experiments and you bit hard so I reeled you in. I still think it's a great name, that they shouldn't change it, and that people who have a serious problem with it are idiots, but I don't really care that much.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103171 is a reply to message #103166] Thu, 08 September 2011 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amir
Messages: 6
Registered: August 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Junior Member
So far several teams have expressed interes in the tournament (from local Nashville to Memphis to Baton Rouge, LA). At this time we have no plans to change the tournament name as long as teams continue to express interest. I think the focus of these posts has gotten off topic. I did not post this threat so that we could discuss the choice of name but to make the tournament known to potential teams. The argument and back and forth insults you guys are having is far more detremental to our running a quality tournament and attracting teams than any name we could have chosen. Furthermore, we intend to play up the literal meaning of the name, the one Ian origianally thought - fresh plastic. All bracket games on sunday will be played with a brand new, never-before touched disc.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103174 is a reply to message #102974] Thu, 08 September 2011 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thefan
Messages: 1059
Registered: September 2008
Senior Member
Quote:

The argument and back and forth insults you guys are having is far more detremental to our running a quality tournament and attracting teams than any name we could have chosen.


you grossly overestimate the reach of RSD.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103187 is a reply to message #103158] Thu, 08 September 2011 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie Fanelli
Messages: 1958
Registered: September 2011
Senior Member
> Sorry, I meant OA (original asshole) Ian, not OP.
~~~~

--seriously...THIS is crazy!
IAN P...an asshole.
i can't see that from this, or any other thread.
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103188 is a reply to message #103162] Thu, 08 September 2011 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie Fanelli
Messages: 1958
Registered: September 2011
Senior Member
On Sep 8, 12:20 pm, J Mac <jeremy.mcnam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The facts are simple.  A college team is hosting a HS
> tourney named Untouched Discs.  Some asshole refuses to
> bring his team because his vagina has been offended.  He is
> the one not allowing his HS team to play competitive
> ultimate and restricting development.  
>
> By the way, props to Vandy for running this.  They are
> promoting HS ultimate.  That is great for several reasons.
> Obviously the more opportunities for HS teams to play in
> tourneys the better. By having a college host a tourney it
> both gives the kids some insight into their possible future
> if they stick with the game and lets the college team look
> for potential recruits.
> --
> Posted fromhttp://www.rsdnospam.com

~~~~~~

--are you joking?...or a moron?
Re: Untouched Discs [message #103189 is a reply to message #103166] Thu, 08 September 2011 13:16 Go to previous message
Reggie Fanelli
Messages: 1958
Registered: September 2011
Senior Member
 I still think it's a great
> name, that they shouldn't change it, and that people who
> have a serious problem with it are idiots, but I don't
> really care that much.
~~~~~~

--ok....seriously....
i don't think ANYONE has a "serious" problem with the name.
only one "idiot" seems to have a "serious" LOVE for the name...and
that's you.
i don't think that anyone "cares" that much....except for you and your
love of the name.

i DO think, however, that most people who have joined in the thread
have a SINCERE desire to provide great ultimate experiences for people
AND think that HOSTING an event for ANYONE is super great.....but all
noticed that the name COULD somehow...sometime...eventually....lead to
there ACTUALLY being LESS opportunity to play ultimate.....because the
name is sort of weird(for anyone) for high school kids and their
parents and teachers.
Previous Topic:Beaver Brawl Fall Tourney
Next Topic:Fantasy Ultimate Contest
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 16 00:57:34 PDT 2019
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software